Saturday, November 19, 2011

Epic baking success!

Today I tried a bread recipe out of a new gluten-free cookbook. They're called "bread slabs" because they're denser, like focaccia bread. I used my gluten free all-purpose flour mix, water, yeast, egg whites, salt and sugar in the base mix and then added chopped kalamata olives and rosemary seasoning. Once everything is stirred together you plop the dough onto floured parchment paper, shape it into a rectangle and let it rest for 30 minutes.
I'd used the oven for a pizza at lunch so I let it hang out for a little bit in there before the oven completely cooled off. After 30 minutes it was beautifully risen so I cut it into four rectangles, like the recipe called for, and brushed the tops with olive oil and salt before putting them in a preheated oven at 450 for 13 minutes.
Oh my goodness they were so good! The olives and sprinkling of salt on top give them the perfect saltiness and the garlic olive oil I used in the dough gives them such a delicious aroma.
I was trying to save a piece for our stew dinner, but I couldn't stop myself from already eating a piece as soon as it came out of the oven. This will definitely be a go-to bread recipe!

1 comment:

kath said...

Looks yummy! Bring some up for Christmas, please!