Monday, September 5, 2011

Luscious lime cookies

Since today was a holiday, my Sunday baking turned into Monday baking instead. This week I went with something easy and soft enough that I could gum it with my wisdom-less teeth - some lime glazed butter cookies. The dough had lime juice and zest in it which I shaped into a rectangle log and let harden in the fridge for about an hour before slicing and baking in the oven.
After coming out of the oven I let them cool on the racks while we went to the movies and saw The Debt (with Helen Mirren). We hadn't been to the movies in ages, and I felt that I could actually stay awake long enough and not have my jaw aching the whole time. We're glad we went because we both really enjoyed it. When we got home I got busy making the lime glaze for the cooled cookies that was literally just powdered sugar, lime zest and lime juice. Each cookie got a nice spread of glaze which set up nice and quick.
And the verdict?
So soft and deliciously tart! The Canadian told me to quit eating them after my second one, party pooper. I'm sure they'll be a hit at work, just like last week's Mexican wedding cookies.
I'm glad I made those last week because I wouldn't be a happy camper with a mouth full of little walnut bits.

I go back to the oral surgeon in the morning for a follow up appointment so he can check out my stitches and listen to me complain about the world's worse pain pills. By day two I had to cold turkey off the pills because I couldn't keep any food down. Now I'm just getting by with ibuprofen which helps dull the ache in my right jaw. I can't wait to eat real food again. I'm bored of pudding and applesauce. I want a steaming hot plate of nachos!

No comments: