Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Baking home stretch

Thankfully I knocked out three of my four cookie recipes yesterday because I wasn't in the mood to spend all day slaving away in the kitchen again today. The one cookie I did leave for today, rugelach (Jewish cookies) appeared to be the most time consuming so I'm glad it's the only one I had to worry about. After mixing together a non-sweet dough of butter, cream cheese and flour I let it chill in the fridge for an hour before splitting it into four pieces and one at a time roll it out into an 11" circle (thank God for my Pampered Chef pastry sheet that has measurements!), cover it with melted butter, slice it into eight wedges and then top each wedge with 2 tsp of filling that is made up of chopped almonds, brown sugar, cinnamon, and apricot preserves.
Then you start rolling each wedge in towards the middle and turn the sides in a little to form a crescent shape.  After a sprinkling of sugar and cinnamon and 20 minutes in the oven you have a wonderfully fragrant little treat.
Of course the two cookies I liked the most - the cardamom shortbread and the rugelach, are the ones with the smallest recipe yield. Each recipe only made 32 cookies, 24 of which have to be distributed at bible study, but of course I have crunchy, coffee whiskey cookies coming out of my ears! Wilson - you'd better hurry home if you want any of the good ones!

No comments: