Saturday, September 6, 2008

Weekend Warriors

Woo hoo - it's the weekend!! Not that we did much relaxing this morning, but we're making up for it this evening. After a quick breakfast of freshly baked Cinnabon muffins and coffee, Chris and I parted ways for morning errands. He went off to help a friend lay bamboo flooring in his newly constructed house and I ran to the Farmer's Market. It was a little late (10:00 a.m.), but I needed to get him more cucumbers and I needed new squash. Amazingly I got a parking spot right away and got right to business. I found some cucumbers, crookneck squash, skinny eggplants, a bag of mung bean sprouts (for Chris-ugh), yellow cherry tomatoes and a delicious fat loaf of Chico Sourdough from the Tin Roof bakery. On my way back home I stopped at Trader Joe's and finished the rest of my grocery shopping. I get my coffee there and my french vanilla half-and-half. I was so busy talking to the checker that I forgot I had my shopping bag tucked under my arm until I noticed the bagger had already bagged all my groceries. I apologized when I gave it to him and made him repack all my groceries in it. Oops.

Chris called me right after noon to see if I'd like to go to lunch with him and our friend, Justin (the one building the house), at Chipotle. He came by to pick me up and we went to meet Justin and his wife, Stephanie, there. When we got there we found out that the plans had changed and that the wife had accidentally gone to Pluto's (downtown by Peet's Coffee) instead and was waiting there for all of us. Pluto's was okay, though. Chris and I both got roasted turkey sandwiches on sourdough bread.

On our way home from lunch we stopped at Blockbuster and rented two videos; Be Kind Rewind (with Jack Black) and In Bruges (with Colin Farrell). We watched Be Kind Rewind when we got home. It way funny, but I thought it'd be funnier. It's the one where Jack Black and Mos Def work at a video store and accidentally erase all the VHS's so they have to remake them on video themselves to rent.

For dinner tonight we had chicken with spinach and new potatoes. It's a crock pot recipe from one of my many Sandra Lee cookbooks. I got it started around noon and it was ready at 5:30.
Of course the one night I actually go through all the trouble to have dinner ready we got invited out to dinner with friends. What are the odds? We didn't even think we had friends.

We're just hanging out on the couch now watching Thin Red Line on IFC. It's some sort of WWII movie. Yeah, just my style. Fortunately, I have my new issues of Creating Keepsakes and Paper Crafts to entertain me amidst all the sounds of gun fire.

We're hoping for a evening walk tonight, but it's still 88 degrees outside. We usually wait it out until it hits 85 or less. Something important must be happening right now in the movie, I hear extraordinary amounts of artillery. Better go check it out.

No comments: