Saturday, August 8, 2009

American Car Show

Mr. A. called this morning and told us about an American car show that was going on at the Elk's lodge on Manzanita (aka Bruce Rd) from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm and wanted to know if we wanted to go. I already had plans to go downtown this morning, but we figured we could squeeze in an hour or two at the car show in between errands. First we ran downtown and stopped at the farmer's market. I wanted some fresh veggies for dinners this week. We got some lemon cucumbers, patty pan squash, orange cherry tomatoes (we've eaten all ours), and some beautiful looking peaches. Then we met Mr. A. at the car show at about 11:15 am. There was quite a good turnout. I'm not interested in most of the American cars, a lot of stuff from the 50s and 60s, but there were some occasional old pieces from the 20s and earlier. Those are neat.

My favorite was a Model A that was actually parked in the parking lot and not officially in the show:
The funny thing about the old cars is that they're very small inside. None of your usual Wal-Mart customers could fit inside. A couple more of the oldies:


My favorite engine bay:
The real engine was behind the driver's seat.

After the car show we went to The Upper Crust to order Wilson's birthday cake and then meandered to the used bookstore next door. I was looking the "Wine for Dummies" book, but they didn't have it. I started reading it at the rental house in Carmel Valley and found it at Barnes and Nobles, but I was hoping for a half priced used one. Oh well, at least I just got an email coupon from B&N. We also stopped at Peet's coffee and got some ground french roast for the press. They were having a sale on some of their mugs and coffee accessories so Chris bought me a travel mug with a built in french press. I only drink one travel mug of coffee in the morning so this will be perfect.

For lunch we went to The Bear. I had a teriyaki chicken sandwich with a salad and Chris had a chili dog (or "dawg" as they spell it) with curly fries. I forgot how good their food was. We checked out the menu more in depth while we ate and have a couple of other items we want to try so I'm sure we'll be going back soon. Plus they have Sierra Nevada Best Bitter on tap, which nobody but Sierra Nevada has, so that alone makes it worth it for the Canadian.

Looks like we're about to settle down for a little Incredible Hulk. I thought it had Eric Bana in it, but it's Edward Norton. Hmm...what am I thinking of?

No comments: