Saturday, September 12, 2009

"Beer"eka, I found it!

After months and months of searching I finally found the ultra elusive Left Coast Brewery's Hop Juice. It was one of Chris' favorite at the brewfest, but we haven't been able to find it since. But that all changed today when I was strolling the isles of S & S Produce looking at all their freakish hippie food when I heard the call of booze from the refrigerated section and there it was.
The funny part was that it didn't quite taste the same to him as it did at the brewfest so we won't be buying it again. After all that....

It's getting down to crunch time to finish the cookbook I'm working on for my co-worker's bridal shower. I started printing the recipe cards this afternoon. I can print two per sheet of cardstock and then I'll have to cut them out.
After printing out about two recipe cards the printer started acting up and jamming every sheet of cardstock I tried to feed it. Of course that got me all in a dither because I've invested so much time in these cards that it wasn't like I could just turn around and do something else. And we have that stupid newer version of Word so I couldn't email them to myself at work to print on the color printer there. Luckily Chris came in and read the printer manual, turned the printer around and found that some panel in the back had opened up and needed to be closed. Then it started printing fine again, but by then the laptop was too low on batteries to keep printing. I just couldn't win! Hopefully I can try again later tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

Recently I bought a french cookbook from B&N. In it was a recipe that I wanted to try called Coq au Vin, but it needed a dutch oven like the ones from Le Creuset that can go in the oven. But it just so happened that in my crock pot cookbook there was a crock pot version of it so I gave it a try today. It has chicken breasts, pearl onions, crumbled cooked bacon, mushrooms in a sauce of red wine and chicken broth. At the very end you take out the meat and veggies and add some flour and tomato paste to the sauce to thicken it. You serve the chicken and veggies over egg noodles covered in the tomato wine sauce. It was really tasty even though I bet it doesn't taste at all like the authentic version.
We're spending the afternoon watching NASCAR. They're racing in Richmond, VA (not that any of you care). When I say "watching" I mean that it's on the TV while I read through my scrapbook magazines looking for layouts for my photos. That's a more acurate description of what's going on.

Tomorrow is my Sunday to sing at church so I have to get up early and be to church by 8:00 am for practice. After that we have no plans. We have Defiance (Daniel Craig Jew movie) on Netflix so maybe we'll watch that, or we also really want to see Inglourious Basterds at the theater. We haven't been to the movies in forever, or at least it seems like it.

Cough, cough, Chris is running between the front door and rear slider with the bug spray pump in his hands. Excuse me while I curl up and die from the stinky fumes of death. Cough, cough.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Dear Hop Juice,

You were so much better in my dreams.

Le sigh.

You loving son,

Queen Victoria