Tuesday, September 1, 2009

River Boat Cruise

This morning we had a 10:00 am reservation for the Chicago Architecture Foundation river cruise on the Chicago River (fed from Lake Michigan).
The boat takes you down the main branch of the river, then up the north branch; turns around, and then goes down the south branch; turns around, and then takes you back to the main branch all the way out to Navy Pier which is where the locks to Lake Michigan are. There were some great old buildings from the 20's and 30's with Art Deco and Gothic styles.
When we got out to Navy Pier there were some great views of the cityscape.
And of course I can't leave out Sears Tower.
After the tour we went down the river walk and had lunch at an Irish Pub (the third or fourth of our trip).
At noon there's a water feature that goes off and shoots a spray of water over the Chicago river. It went off while we were lunching so we went over and got some photos.
This afternoon we spent walking the Magnificent Mile on upper Michigan Ave. It's where all the hoity-toity shops are; Prada, Coach, Chanel, Burberry, Tiffany's, Escada, etc. We went into some of the less intimidating shops like Neiman Marcus, Macy's, Coach, Ann Taylor, Anthropologie and Tiffany's. I found a pea coat (as if I need any more coats) I absolutely adored at Macy's until I saw the $325.00 price tag. I didn't want it until I found out I couldn't have it. Curses! Needless to say, I'm not bringing anything home with me (other than the dresses Chris bought for me yesterday at Ann Taylor Loft).

We're just hanging out at the hotel for awhile resting our tootsies. There's a restaurant and pub up the street that we're going to have dinner at later, but we need to unwind first. Tomorrow's itinerary; Planetarium and Aquarium.

No comments: