Sunday, May 13, 2012

Childhood memories

I don't remember how the subject came up, but during one of our evening walks the Canadian and I started talking about Jello and I brought up how my mom used to make us black cherry Jello with fruit cocktail in it as a kid. The Canadian grew very excited at the thought of making some, so after picking up some black cherry Jello and fruit cocktail from Raley's, I got busy making a batch yesterday.
It was as good as I remember it, especially topped with a dollop of cool whip. Between yesterday and today we already ate it all so I had to make another batch this afternoon. My only question is, when did Jello start costing $2.00 a box?!? I thought it was like Ramen and only cost $0.25 a box or something at least remotely reasonable. That'll learn me for making a last minute trip to Safeway. I bet they're a better price at CholoMaxx.

Made a new recipe last night (stir fry meat in a spicy peanut sauce over rice that I completely forgot to take a photo of) and tonight that were both delicious. Tonight was a spinach artichoke chicken casserole that literally tasted like artichoke spinach dip with pasta in it.
Even the boy ate it up and spinach is on the bottom of his list of good eats. And even better is that I recently realized that Trader's sells gf pasta on the cheap thereby saving me the trip and expense of buying the pricey (though tasty) stuff at S&S. Nothing else new planned for the rest of the week, we'll just be eating leftovers since I'll be gone for two nights for work stuff.

Since my mom works graveyards at the hospital I knew that an actual Mother's Day event wasn't really going to work with me being gone at church all morning while she's awake so I took her out to lunch (her dinner) on Friday after I got off of work at 11:00 a.m. We went to Sophia's Thai, which I'd taken her to on a previous Mother's Day, and ordered some of the same dishes that I knew she liked from the first time we went. Chicken Pad Thai (which thankfully is made with rice noodles), shrimp pineapple fried rice, and shrimp eggplant red curry which had just the right amount of spiciness. A delicious lunch and gift certificate to a local nursery once again secured my rightful place as her favorite daughter (right Mom??, wink, wink). So, Happy Mother's Day Mom - I love you, even though you clearly love the Canadian more than me (shall we count the beer to candles/stamps ratio??).

1 comment:

EZ Gluten Free said...

Oh Wow! That's so cool. I think you're the first person that ever cooked one of my recipes and did a blog post about it. The picture looks great. Thanks for posting a link to my blog. You made my night. ~Anne