Thursday, May 24, 2012

Forgotten treasure

When I was in the beer room earlier tonight I spied some mason jars I had stored on the bottom of one of the shelves earlier in the year. They were Christmas gifts from my friend Joanna and one was filled with brownie mix and the other had oatmeal cookie mix. The oatmeal cookies sounded like exactly what we needed tonight.
Oatmeal cookie mix with dark chocolate M&Ms and chopped up figs. Yummy. I literally just dumped it all in a bowl, rubbed in some margarine, and added some egg whites (I was out of egg beaters) and vanilla. After 12 minutes in the oven they were ready for some serious consumption.
What a wonderful surprise!

Soooo....I finally talked to my thyroid surgeon Tuesday afternoon regarding my post-op blood work. He said my thyroid hormone level was right in the middle of the normal range so he won't be putting me on any thyroid hormones. I'll need to keep testing my levels in the future, but so far so good. What he did mention though was that my platelet and white blood cell levels were low and he wanted me to go back to my general doctor to figure that out. However, last year I changed my insurance to a cheaper policy which no longer covers the general doctor I've been seeing for the last couple of years so I spent all morning on the phone trying to find a doctor that did take my insurance and was still taking new patients. Not as easy as I thought it would be. Five strikeouts before finally finding a medical group that still had two of their seven doctors taking new patients and accepting my insurance. And even better, he could see me tomorrow morning which happens to be my Friday off. After a quick call to my thyroid doctor's office I got my lab results forwarded to the new office so that hopefully we can have a productive conversation in the morning.

Dear four-day weekend, you are my new best friend.

No comments: