Thursday, November 26, 2009

Um, can I talk to Uncle Chris now?

My first call this turkey day morning was from C. She wanted to tell me about a conversation that she had with Andrew about Chris. Andrew saw some professional wrestling on TV and decided he wanted to be a wrestler and wrestle Uncle Chris. We're not sure why Chris, but Andrew has it all set in his mind. Andrew got on the phone to wish me a happy Thanksgiving, but then immediately wanted to know if he could talk to Uncle Chris. Dissed for the cool uncle. I see how it is. Then Connor got on the phone with Chris and was telling him "racecar". Susan said they read the race car book (about colors) all the time and he acts surprised everytime the silver car wins and always says it's Uncle Chris. C. and family were going over to one of Todd's sister's houses in O-town. I think she said there was 34 of them getting together. Oye!

We didn't do a lot around here this morning. We had a big breakfast of poached eggs, country style potatoes, bacon and some leftover sourdough pancakes hoping to hold ourselves over until our 2:00 pm turkey feast. Our part of the meal was to bring rolls, green bean casserole and dessert. After a lot of deliberation I settled on an apple crostata. I hadn't made one before, but the recipe on the Pillsbury website looked easy enough. Peeled, sliced apples mixed with cinnamon and sugar and baked in a pie crust. Luckily, it didn't disappoint.
We got over to the 'rents right at 2:00 pm with arms full of hot food. Mum had pulled out the table to it's full extension and was decorated all in holiday splendor.
We had some of Mum's delicious artichoke stuffing,
And a mix of sweet and regular potatoes.
We had turkey this year which I thought was perfect, but Mum was convinced she cooked it too long. Nothing a little gravy can't fix, right? We have a quarter spiral cut ham in the fridge to make this weekend that'll go nicely with the boatloads of leftovers they sent us home with. Mum gave us a turkey leg, too so that we could make a turkey soup. We'll be eating leftovers for weeks to come.

Chris shared some of his Macau photos with them from his trip, but they didn't get to enjoy the spicy dried fish he brought home as his only souvenir. Chris tricked me into eating one yesterday and it was one of the most gawd awful things I'd ever tasted. Ick.
If he offers you any say 'no' and run away!

1 comment:

Anni said...

Um, if you can find out that stuffing recipe and send it my way, I'd be happy forever...