Friday, June 18, 2010

Gifts from up north

Before Jessica left to go back home earlier in the week, she gifted me with a new printer courtesy of my brother-in-law, Rick. It's a big black beast that prints up to 13"x19". He remembered that I was looking for a printer to use for 12x12 digital scrapbooking pages and was thoughtful enough to send it my way.
This is so much better than the stinky dried fish Chris brought back for me from Macau! The best part was that the printer came with Photoshop Elements 6 so that I now have a photo editing program to do digital layouts in. Can't wait to try it! Until then, I'm still using paper and glue which helped put together this little layout about a concert at Arco with a Christian band called Mercy Me.

Today is a sad day because it's my next to last Friday off from work. Starting July 1st our reduced hours are being reinstated and I will have to start working Fridays again. It's not just me that's bummed, it's everybody at work who's sad to see our 3-day weekends end. All of us agreed that we'd rather take the reduced pay (36 hrs instead of 40) then have to work Fridays, but unfortunately my work is not willing to accept that financial concession from the labor unions this coming fiscal year. Instead, they're only willing to accept the workers back to full time but paying more for health insurance (a 75/25% split) and paying our employee portion of our retirement (7% of our salary). It ends up being the same take home pay as just working 36 hours. That's what sucks. Who wants to work four more hours for the same pay at working 36 hours? So, before losing the ability to, I went out to Orland and brought Chris lunch today. I stopped at In and Out and got us some burgers and fries to share. That should tide him over until dinner tonight which I've had cooking since 9:00 am this morning. It's an easy favorite of ours; cheap beef ribs from CholoMaxx covered in a bottle of bbq sauce and cooked in the crockpot on low for 8-9 hours. We used the rest of the bbq sauce we got from Jessica at Christmas from Washington.
I just checked on them and the meat is falling off the bones it's so tender. Served with some baked beans and corn on the cob, it makes a great meal.

No comments: