Monday, August 18, 2008

Mean or Funny?

Tomorrow is birthday Tuesday at work. We used to do a birthday day every month at work where we would bring goodies to share (unless your birthday was that month, then you were exempt). Over time it just dwindled down to a core group of about 5 ladies who would diligently bring goodies every month even though everybody else was more than happy to still eat it. Out of frustration we quit doing birthday days and just take the birthday person out to lunch (if it's someone we even like). Last week was the birthday of one of our worst birthday violators who would NEVER bring anything, but would eat everything in sight and then even take stuff home if there was still stuff around when he left work! Even though he didn't bring it!! He is also our office double dipper. Seriously. He's in his 70's, but doesn't have the courtesy to not double dip. Unbelievable. So anyways, last week was his birthday and as luck would have it he's actually gone on vacation until next week. So my brainchild was for everyone to bring food, put up the birthday banner and take pictures to leave on his desk. Let him know that we thought about him on his birthday and even celebrated for him. All without having to share a lick with him! As I would tell people the plan they would first looked shocked and say how mean that is and then once they thought about it for a moment they think it's brilliant and hilarious. So here's my contribution to tomorrow's bounty:

They're supposed to be butterscotch chews, but it's actually a mix of butterscotch and chocolate. They've got chow mein noodles, peanuts, mini marshmallows and shredded coconut. Mmmm...

I had a meeting at work this afternoon that actually lasted until after 5:00 pm so I wasn't able to run around and remind everyone about food tomorrow, but they've all know since last week and they're big kids who should be able to remember this for themselves. Yeah right. We'll see in the morning who remembers.

This Wednesday is a retirement party for one of my co-workers which is after work at a sports bar and is 70's disco themed. I kind of forgot about the "disco" part so during lunch today I went to Hospice in town and found a glorious purple polyester long sleeve shirt with a big sash that tied around the neck. I was going to wear it with my plaid skirt and knee high boots, but it's too 70's work looking so my co-worker is bringing me a purple and silver sparkly dress to wear with silver heels. She was going to wear it, but she got a gold lame dress from her daughter instead. Normally my 70's work attire would be fine, but I'm going to be in a group of ladies singing ABBA karaoke and I need to look the part. I know, don't be jealous. If your lucky there'll be pictures...

No comments: