Friday, May 1, 2009

Rainy Day Racing

While we could still use more rain for the season, this isn't the best weekend for it. We had a Friday race out in Willows today that we left for amidst rain sprinkles this morning. Thankfully it stayed dry at the track, but that didn't stop us from having other difficulties. First thing we did when we got to the track was put together our new pop-up tent. It was actually as easy as the box said. It takes two minutes to expand the frame out and then the top, canopy cover straps to the frame with velcro. It doesn't get much easier then that.
We bought sides for it too, but we didn't need them today. After we had the tent up we went to get the car out. We have two metal ramps I push the car down on with Chris in it to control the steering and braking. For the first time ever, one of the ramps fell down halfway through pushing the car out. The rear wheels were down on the ground, but the nose and front tires were still up in the trailer. Chris managed to stop the car before it dropped down to the ground, but then I was scrambling to try to push him back into the trailer far enough that I could get the ramp set back up on the lip of the trailer. It was slightly scary, but we managed to get the ramp back up and the car out safely.

We got there at 8:30 am and our first track session was at 9:00 am so we were hustling to get everything set up and ready in time. While Chris was changing tires I went to get out his driving suit and found out that we'd accidentally left his driving shoes at home. Ugh. The pedals are small and close together so he was going to have to do the best he could with his big skater sneakers.

After he went out on track for a couple of laps and came back to the pits we found out that he was leaking oil again.
A very frustrating morning. On a good note, the race club decided to move the race from 1:50 pm to 10:00 am so even though we were ready to pack up and go we decided to go ahead and run the race since it was so close. Then, a couple of laps into the race he lost his steering and drove off track. That's when we were really done. We got there at 8:30 and left at 10:30. I think that's a new track day record for us.

After we got home it really started raining and it's been going ever since.

I haven't done much scrapbooking lately, but I did make another birthday card for a co-worker. I think it came out really nice. I wouldn't normally have put the paper clip on it, but it was holding a gift certificate on the inside of the card.

Tomorrow I'm working a yard sale at work for our Relay for Life team. I have first shift with one of the Fire Prevention Inspectors, Yvette, at 6:30 am. Of course it's still going to be raining all day tomorrow and all day Sunday. We're going to be huddled under the awning in the front of our building. We're also bringing baked goods and hot drinks to sell to the people who will be standing in line for football sign ups at Town Hall in the morning since they'll be a captive audience. I've got a cranberry orange muffin mix I'm going to whip up in the morning and bring with.

My yard sale shift ends at 9:00 am because I need to get home to meet Kari at 9:45 am to go a funeral for my Aunt Teri (one of Little Man's aunts). She was married to Uncle Joe and they lived next door to Denise up in Magalia. Uncle Joe's the only relative I've kept in touch with for the last 8 years because he comes to my work for permts. That's why Kari's going, she knows Uncle Joe from work. I suspect all the relatives will be there (Aunt Susie, all the cousins, and maybe even Denise if Joe doesn't ban her [they do NOT get along]). This will be interesting.

No comments: