Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Cankles

Yesterday was my first day back at work in 3 1/2 weeks. What I immediately realized was that time takes twice as long to pass in a work office than it does at home. Weird. For the most part I had a good day. I could get up and down from my desk okay, my legs just felt bruised every time I sat down because my office chair is hard. However, by the end of the work day my ankles and calves had swelled up like tree trunks, aka "cankles". The whole area physically hurt to touch and my shoes were leaving a huge purple indentation on the top of my foot. It was the longest I'd had my feet on the ground and not elevated since the surgery. As soon as I got home I popped some ibuprofen to help with the swelling and put my tootsies up on some pillows. By this morning I could actually see my ankle bone, so it obviously helped. Oye!

Today I had my last follow-up appointment with the surgeon. I gave him a quick update about all the issues I've had since I saw him last, but everything seems to have solved itself so he was happy with the current state of the incisions. I need to stay in my compression suit and continue to pad my incisions until there's absolutely no drainage coming off on the pads. And considering three of the four pads are continuously clean, I'm sure I'll be good by the end of the week. And at that point I can start working out again, slowly. Then, if in two more weeks, the steri-strips over the incisions don't start coming off on their own I need to take them off myself. Gag. That gives me chills just thinking about it.

Since my doctor appointment was at noon today in Chico, I got the rest of the afternoon off from work since I wasn't going to drive back up the hill for a couple of hours of work. Instead I hung out at home and got some present wrapping finished.
And in the mail today we got our first Christmas card from family friends, Jim & Carolyn up in Oregon.
That just makes me acknowledge how far behind I am on our Christmas cards. We make them every year, and we already have our 'theme' for this year, we just need to hurry up and do it!

2 comments:

Lisa Dovichi said...

I better get one (A Christmas Card) just saying. :D

What do you suppose it means that "colon" is my word verification for this comment. Does it mean you're an ass or ... well of course it means you! :D

Anni said...

Wow... your tree already looks pretty full with all my presents, where are you going to put everyone else's? :D

...my word verification was "relyi". Interpret that as you wish.