Friday, December 3, 2010

Fundraising fun

Tonight was my friend Alicia's 40th birthday and to celebrate she used her special day as a fund-raising opportunity for our mutual friend Lori and her 17 year daughter, Kayla, who used to live up in p-town but had to move to the Seattle area a couple years ago for Kayla's medical treatments. Kayla was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis when she was 5 months old and is now in need of a double lung transplant. Even with insurance the family will be responsible for $50-$100k for the procedure. So Alicia made arrangements to have her birthday party at a local sports bar where they agreed to donate 15% of the sales for the evening to the cause and gave us use of their banquet room to hold a raffle and silent auction in. I came prepared and split my money between raffle tickets and silent auction bids. My game plan worked because I won a TON of loot;
My first raffle win - a huge gift basket from Great Harvest Bread. A loaf of honey wheat bread, a pumpkin chocolate chip loaf, a cinnamon loaf, a chocolate chip scone mix, honey, jam, and a bread knife. I gave out a loud whoop and fist pump when my name was called.
My trunk full of loot - my Great Harvest basket, a bottle of grape vodka, a bottle of Southern Comfort, a knitted hat and scarf set, a set of 14 pairs of earrings, a $50 Tupperware gift certificate, a big Mary Kay product gift basket, a free photo session with a local photographer, and a dog treat gift basket (don't tell Chase!) from a local doggy boutique. I mean seriously, is there anything cooler than winning a crap-load of gifts?? I think not. I envision pumpkin chocolate chip bread and grape vodka for breakfast....

1 comment:

kath said...

I'm going with you if we ever go to Vegas! How lucky!