Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Day After Birthday Hangover

I had a good ending yesterday to my birthday mayhem. We went with the 'rents and had a delicious dinner at California Pasta Productions. I had the smoked chicken artichoke fettuccine like always, Chris had chicken parmesan, Mr A. had spaghetti and meat-a-balls and Mum had one of the specials of butternut squash and pumpkin raviolis. They were yummy (she snuck me a bite).
We ate outside on the patio which has roll down plastic walls and ceiling heaters for when the weather gets cold, like last night.

On our way home I got a call from Wilson who was in Chico and ready to bring me my gift. How could I refuse?
Me with both of my daughters. The fashionable one and the bum (you decide who is who). However, the bum did bring me my UCLA mug I asked for and a t-shirt so that when I visit her I can dress up in college memorabilia and look like a complete dork around her. Points for that.

Mum and Mr. A. (well really Mum) got me a dress jacket from Coldwater Creek. Need I say more? It's not something I would have picked out, but I trust her taste and will try to find something to wear it with. It's a dark, dark navy (almost a light black) jacket with no buttons or zippers and has a bunch of embroidery around the edges and small metal discs that almost look like sequins, but they're metal. It makes a jingly sound when I shake it. It needs a photo to fully express the design. It probably cost a million dollars so by God I'm going to wear it and like it! I just don't know what with...

This morning the old man and I couldn't sleep in so we got up and were going to go to breakfast at our favorite place, Country Waffle, downtown and then to the farmer's market. However, once again, the restaurant was closed for what appears to be renovations. Of course, this is the one time we actually have a coupon (buy one get one) and it will expire on the 20th. I'm going to make them honor it even after that date. No fair sending coupons out in the mail and then closing your business for the time the coupon's good for. Anyway we continued on the farmer's market and got some more jicama, cucumbers and onions. I'm tired of cherry tomatoes and Chris didn't want any fruit. The feel of the farmer's market is definitely changing towards fall. More squash and oranges and apples now. For breakfast we actually ended up buying breakfast burritos from Speedy Burrito (home of the big fat burrito - Jessica) who always has a little booth there. We both got chorizo burritos and they were yummy. I've had bigger and fatter burritos, but this was just right for breakfast. We brought them home and made some of our spooky Harry & David halloween coffee with it. Mmm...
Wilson and I are getting together today to go sign up for a new joint Costco membership so that she can buy booze in bulk in LA at a good price. Just kidding, Mom (not really). It's only 10:30 now so she probably won't be up for another hour or so. Chris is taking Mr. A. with him to a co-workers house to chop and load some almond wood. The friend cut down some almond trees and doesn't need the wood, but the 'rents have been looking for a small amount for their lake house fireplace. Free wood - it doesn't get much better than that. Except free shoes.

No comments: