Saturday, June 20, 2009

Recipe Results

Well, I made Jessica's chicken noodle pasta last night and while I did end up slicing my thumb on the mandolin slicer, it came out fabulous. At least in my opinion. Chris wished it had a little liquid to it, but what does he know? I thought it was totally yummy and I'm going to make him choke down the leftovers tomorrow night for dinner.

After dinner last night we went over to Barnes and Noble for a little magazine reading and a little reconnaissance work on Chicago for our fall vacation. We bought the same travel book for Chicago that we bought for Washington D.C. We really like the format it's in and it comes with a map.
Chris took this photo on his iPhone. I'm not quite sure why it has a red tint to it.

This morning I made scones from a co-worker's recipe (Curtis' wife, Kathy). Mine didn't come out quite a beautiful as hers, but they still tasted good. I would guess that she probably used the real butter the recipe called for, not margarine, but that's all I had and wasn't going to spend $3 on real butter I'd never eat.
They've got dried cranberries and orange zest in them. Very tasty, but very messy to make. I don't bake from scratch often (or ever) and didn't realize what a mess it is to pull out every dried good known to man and roll out dough and powder this and powder that. Blah! But for those freaks (like Jessica to whom I emailed this recipe) who attempt things like this on a daily basis, it's probably no big deal.

Chris and I took the 'rents out to lunch today at Johnnie's to celebrate Mum's birthday (tomorrow) and Father's Day. They really liked it and for the four of us it only cost $34. What a deal for such a nice restaurant. We went back to their place afterwards and did gifts. Chris got Mr. A. some tool stuff and I got Mum a dragonfly windchime (she has a dragonfly theme at their place) and a flier showing the Paradise bakery class I signed her and I up for in July. We're going to make homemade sourdough breads and pizzas. The owner of the bakery is a friend of mine and we got into her only open class for the rest of the year. Mum was very excited because we get to use an outdoor oven and she's always wanted to do that. Somehow at the end of the gift giving I ended up with a bouquet of flowers and Chris got a clock for the garage.
Tonight for dinner I made a recipe out of my new-to-me Rachael Ray cookbook. It was chicken sausage meatballs over gnocchi with tomato sauce. Ground turkey was on sale though, so I used it instead of ground chicken, but it still came out really tasty. The sauce is crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce mixed with sauteed onions and red pepper flakes. It added just enough spice.
It was perfect for tonight, with enough leftover to heat back up for Tuesday night dinner.

Now I'm ready for a nap, but the Canadian is in the garage packing for tomorrow's race and I will once again be beckoned to come push the car in the trailer in just a little while. Tomorrow's race is just out in Willows at Thunderhill so we don't have to roll out of here until about 7:00 a.m. I'll entertain myself during the drive with a warmed scone and some coffee.

No comments: