Saturday, June 6, 2009

Relay for Life

Somebody decided to stay home and sleep off his beer tonight instead of accompanying his wife to the Relay for Life, but that's all I'm going to say about it.

I spent the first part of the morning at the high school helping set up our food display for the beginning of the relay. I brought my zucchini bread and helped tape up signs and strings of lights for the evening. There was a group of about 4 ladies and we were gettin' it done!
My track time was from 8:00 pm - 9:00 pm tonight. I got there right at 8:00 pm and checked in with my group. Yvette was there who had brought her team visor with her earlier in the morning all decorated like we were supposed to do which inspired me to get mine up to par before I came back in the evening. Here's mine:
It has four glitter hearts with the names Betsy (a co-worker's wife with ovarian cancer), Kari (melanoma), Little Man, and Wanda (Rhonda from my b.s. group has breast cancer). And here's ours together:
Yes, we're dorky yet cute all at the same time. I ran in to Kari there since I was relieving her and her husband Steve on track and she informed me that Mom was over at the luminaria booth making bags for Little Man. So I huffed it around the track and found Mom working at the hospital booth selling ice cream. She finished her shift at 8:00 pm so she and her friend, Maria, walked the track with me for my hour. While we were out on track we found the luminaria I paid for and the one mom made.
As it got closer to 9:00 pm they started lighting the luminarias. We liked the ones that had the people's pictures on them and then we saw these cool ones that had a plastic front with a "stained glass" look that was really just marker.
At about a quarter after 9:00 pm they had everybody stop while some people spoke, then they did a moment of silence followed by a memorial lap around the track led by a bagpiper playing Amazing Grace.
It was very touching. By then it was pushing 10:00 pm and was time for me to start heading home. After the memorial lap I grabbed my stuff and came home. Home to a quite and dark house because apparently the drunkard is still sleeping off his party juice. But on the bright side, I got to spend an hour hanging out with my Mom to whom all this stuff matters as much as to me.

No comments: