Sunday, July 19, 2009

Feeding Eduardo

Yesterday was Eduardo's, my sourdough starter, feeding day. That means taking him out of the fridge and coming to room temperature for about an hour. Then I have to scrape him into another bowl on top of my kitchen scale to figure out how much he weighs.
In this case he weighed 6 ounces. That meant that I needed to add 6 ounces of flour and 6 ounces of filtered water to him.
After I mixed Eduardo all up, I measure out 1 cup of starter and put it in a separate container to use today for sourdough biscuits. After the starter is mixed you leave it out for an hour and then refrigerate it. If you plan on using it the next day you leave that amount out for a full 12 hours before you refrigerate it (I mixed the starter at 8:00 pm and left the 1 cup for the biscuits out on the counter until 8:00 am this morning).
Around 11:00 am this morning I pulled the starter back out of the fridge (the same stuff I put in there at 8:00 am) and let it come to room temperature for about an hour. Then I mixed it with flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and canola oil. I took the dough and kneeded it until it was smooth and then rolled it out on my pastry mat.
Using a cup rim, I cut out 9 biscuits from the dough and placed them on a greased baking sheet to rise for an hour.
After a 30 minute baking session in the oven, my little masterpieces were ready for some butter and honey.
At first I was worried because they had a very firm outer crust and obviously hadn't risen much, but once I got them sawed open and buttered up they were pretty tasty. I wouldn't trade a KFC biscuit for one, but they were decent for my first biscuit baking experience.
This afternoon I've been working on my cookbook project for a co-worker who is getting married in October. I've received recipes from about 5 co-workers, with a lot more to come. I stole the design idea from the scrapboook store in Paradise. They had a sample book they'd made out by their kitchen themed merchandise.
The front of the pages are the food category headings (appetizers, breads, soups/salads, etc) and the backside are the pouches that hold the recipe cards.
I ran out of cooking themed paper so I need to go back to the Paradise store to get more this week. I think the biggest time consumer will be retyping all the recipes in to the computer so that I can print them on to cardstock and trim into recipe cards.

We have a work associate of Chris' coming in to town tonight for a multi-day stay for work stuff. We always go out to dinner with him when he comes so we're tossing around some ideas for tonight. I suggested Franky's because it's good and easy. We've already taken him to Casa Ramos (gag), Sierra Nevada, and Thai food. My back-up ideas are La Hacienda or Tres Hombres (not my favorite, but edible). Chris will probably be eating out with him and some other engineers again tomorrow night, but I have a union meeting after work so I'll be dining on a frozen pizza (tuscan chicken, mmm....). It's times like this when I'm bummed that Kramore Inn is closed. We could go there everytime and never run out of new crepes to try. But until dinner, I need a nap. Badly. Chris is already crashed out on his side of the couch. I can feel my eyes getting heavy....

No comments: