Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th o' July!

We celebrated today as much as a Jr. Mexican and Canadian could. Since the gym had already posted signs that they were closing tonight at 8:00 pm, I went to the gym first thing this morning after waking up. But when I reached over to grab my running shoes I pulled something in my right leg right around my knee. So at 8:15 am I was dressed for the gym but couldn't put any weight on my right leg. Brilliant! I hobbled to the gym anyway and did 10 minutes on the elliptical machine and ran/limped for 10 minutes. Sometimes I don't feel it at all and other times I have shooting pain in my knee area.

Our big plan for the day was to go to the 'rents for a bbq. We were bringing a salad and they were doing everything else. I made a plate of sliced red and yellow tomatoes with slices of fresh mozzarella cheese sprinkled with fresh basil out of our garden. Right before we left home I drizzled balsamic vinegar and olive oil over it with a little salt and pepper. Mum had steaks, homemade potato salad (with hard boiled eggs and pickles), sauteed squash and toasted asiago cheese bread. It was delicious.
After dinner Mum plated us up a apricot crostata with vanilla ice cream. It was just like the apricot pie I had at Lulu's. Apparenlty apricot's are this summer's new "it" dessert fruit. Who knew?
When we left the 'rents we went over to Home Depot and picked up a new screen door for the sliding glass door in the dining room. It fell off the tracks this morning for the seventy-billionth, and last time. While Chris was getting the screen, I ran over to the 99 cent store and stocked up on household staples like a bag of limes (for mojitos), roasted red peppers (just in case), peanut butter whoppers, Mike and Ikes and Dots. Then we drove home the back way along Bruce road and the THREE new round-abouts.
Mmmmm....coffee, peanut butter whoppers and new magazines from Mum. That's what 4th of July is all about. Oh, and mint mojitos.
We're just hanging out watching NASCAR and eating copious amounts of candy. No plans for fireworks tonight. The only show in town is over at the speedway after the race. That's where we went last year (sat in the parking lot of Barnes and Noble), but you have no idea when they're going to start and sitting for hours in order to secure a spot is kind of boring.

In other news, I got a new swimsuit from QVC in the mail the other day and it fit perfectly unlike the three I tried from Costco. They actually had the bust, waist and hip measurements listed online so I knew that the one I ordered should fit.
It's almost like a 50's style. I've already taken it for a test drive twice and everything stayed where it's supposed to.

We also scored a new case of summer brews from Cost Plus. 10 new beers we don't have yet, but we made some room on the shelves for the new kids.
Other side:
Lastly, I made a new card last night. A co-worker gave me a garland of American flag stars that she thought I might be able to use for scrapbooking so I cut off some of the stars to affix to the front of my card. I wanted to have it done before 4th of July so I could actually send it to somebody, but my creative juices weren't flowing that quickly. I do like how it came out though.
Now I have to come up with some good ideas for a light dinner to soak up all this booze we've been drinking! Something fancy perhaps, like cereal.

1 comment:

Kristin Joy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.