Thursday, April 29, 2010

Wacky weather

We went from a beautiful, warm weekend to a cold, rainy, and windy work week. Yesterday's weather was particularly delightful. It would go from partly sunny to sideways rain to pelting hail within minutes of each other. I had gone to Holiday during my lunch break and it was clear when I left, but started hailing like a demon on my drive back to work. I sat in my car and tried to wait it out since I'd worn open toed shoes.
But no such luck.
Thankfully today the weather started drying up since we have our first race of the season tomorrow in Willows. While I was at Upper Crust this morning getting a birthday dessert for a friend, I picked up an assorted package of day-olds for breakfast in the morning on the way to the track.
A chocolate croissant, lemon-cranberry scone, bear claw and pecan roll. I'm not sure I'm going to share any of these...

When I got home I had a delivery from Barnes and Noble of a recipe box I'd ordered for a bridal shower I have on Saturday. On old friend of Sarah, Poppy and mine's, Dawn, is getting married in June and her shower is this weekend. Since I never see Dawn anymore, I'm not sure what her tastes are, but I figured I couldn't go wrong with this.
It comes with some pre-printed recipes and then a bunch of blank cards for friends and family to fill out. Where was this before I had the bright idea of scrapbooking the last recipe box??

Tonight for dinner I made a recipe out of my Eating Well for two that Jessica didn't think I'd like (I'll be making every recipe in it to prove her wrong). It was sausage, potatoes and homemade kraut. Good idea for the night before the race, or brilliant idea??
It was the first time I'd ever used fresh fennel bulb and I found it fascinating that it smelled just like black licorice. Freaky!


2 comments:

Anni said...

Good lord. Fennel is hands down the worst thing on the planet. I won't be coming for dinner any time soon, i'll tell you that!

Susana & Chris said...

Finally, I have found your kryptonite! Must find fennel birthday cake recipe...