Sunday, December 13, 2009

Canadians hate coconut

I spent this afternoon whipping up another bar recipe from the Baking Bites website. Today was the Samoa bars (like the girl scout cookies). A shortbread base topped with a mixture of caramel and toasted coconut, then the bars are dipped in chocolate and drizzled on top with more chocolate. After all was said, done, and cooled, they really did taste like Samoa cookies.
The Canadian had a super sad face on though because he hates flaked coconut. I made him one little corner with just shortbread, caramel and chocolate, but in the face of 23 other bars his seemed so paltry to him. And, because he doesn't like to share, he is a sad puppy because I'm taking all the peppermint brownies and Samoas to work.

As part of the chocolate dipping process I had to place the bars on waxed paper and found that the wax paper in my drawer was actually out and needed to be replaced. This is the same waxed paper that Mom has had since we were kids. She brought it to me a couple of years ago when I needed some, but check out the package because you can't get anything that looks like this anymore! I'm kind of sad, it's practically family.

Today was Salvation Army Sunday so I was there serving dinner from 4-6:00 pm. We served open faced turkey sandwiches, potatoes, stuffing, lots of gravy and cranberry sauce. Everyone loved it. I was the gravy and cranberry girl so of course that was their favorite part. Or at least I like to think so. When I got home, I had my own kitchen worker hard at work whipping up our own Sunday feast.
His specialty of kielbasa and thinly sliced potatoes with a little bit of every spice in the cupboard.

I need to finish up the rest of our Christmas cards tonight. Of course after buying more photo paper the printer ran out of color ink. I can't win!! But now we're full of ink, paper, and adhesive so there's no stopping me now!

No comments: