Saturday, February 27, 2010

Mennonite Magic

Yesterday I went in search of the legendary bakery and cafe run by Mennonites on the south side o' town. Armed with the least informative directions ever, I drove down Hegan lane (on the way to Durham) until I saw the sandwich board pointing the way. Two side streets later I was parked in front of Country Morning Bakery & Cafe, a very cute little cafe situated in an industrial park (UPS distribution center, Knudsen's distribution center, etc). When I went in I was greeted by the smell of fresh breads and baked delights. Next to their bakery counter was a stand up refrigeration unit that held all their pre-made casseroles which was the reason I made the trip. Pam had brought me two of their delicious casseroles while I was on medical leave and now I craved more. I found a chicken alfredo lasagna that sounded perfect for dinner. I bought the small size, like the ones Pam brought, because they're perfect for the two of us. And for $8.99 each, I think they're a great deal.
It was so creamy and rich. Excellent! While at the cafe, I couldn't possibly leave without one of their pastries, so I picked up a ginormous cinnamon roll for Chris and I to share for dessert with a little decaf. Mmmm....
I'd love to go there for a little Saturday morning breakfast one of these weekends. They have big round dining room style tables to sit at and there's a cute little fireplace in the corner. And you can see their prep area behind the bakery counter where numerous Mennonite women were running around making breads and meals dressed in their homemade dresses and little hair caps. I'll definitely be going back.

When Chris got home yesterday he immediately tore into the shipping box that had been delivered and greeted his new best friend.

He hasn't named it yet, but don't worry, he will. We name everything. I voted for 'tiny dancer', but he just rolled his eyeballs at me.

Today's weather is fabulous, following yesterday's rain storm. Right now it's 62 degrees and sunny. Tomorrow is rumored to be around 67 degrees. Chris is out in the garage working on Ratty, his chop-shop style motorcycle. I just hear a lot of grinding and welding going on. I think he should build the frame out of beer bottles, Lord knows we have enough. I'm spending my afternoon in my craft room finishing up my 2009 album. I'd printed a bunch of photos before my surgery with the thought that I'd be spending all my down time in there. But I was on crack, so I got nothing done. I'd really like to start 2010 quasi-caught up. Maybe have bragging rights over Jessica...??

1 comment:

Chris said...

It makes my hands look so big!