Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bribes for blood

Today was a blood drive in P-town at the Vet's hall. I had my co-worker go to lunch early so that I could leave earlier and be there when they opened at 12:30. I got there at 12:37 pm and was already 19th in line!? But I persevered and managed to get through the check in, passed my iron test (dropped like a rock), and checked all the silly boxes about not being a carrier for all toxic diseases in about an hour. Then it took me another 45 (freaking) minutes sitting in the donor recliner before one of the nurses came over and finally got me hooked up. The entire process took me two whole hours. Unbelievable. However, I did get cake. Two pieces in fact.
That helped ease my pain. As did the free movie pass to the local movie theater AND the free ice cream coupon from Baskin Robbins. Score!

Back at work I got an email from a co-worker that she had some more hand-me-down clothes for me. Last time she cleaned her closet I scored handfuls of dresses so I was very excited. I haven't gone through the bags yet, but I'm sure there's something useful out of the three full bags!
Yes, the shirt on the far left has a feathered collar. The old people at church are going to love it!

Tonight was bible study down the street at Lulu's. She made a delicious stuffed chicken from S&S Produce and homemade rice pudding. She makes the best food. Even with one of her wrists in a cast. When we were done we got a tour of this year's garden (her husband is a gardener extraordinaire). The star of the show was a big-ass three week old pumpkin.
They also had some Bidwell melons growing which are like super sized cantaloupes. They're from a seed stock that were planted by John & Annie Bidwell back in the late 1800s.
We can't even grow a couple of measly lemons, yet they're growing produce the size of small Volkswagens. Slightly unfair me thinks. Unless of course they're willing to share, then grow baby grow!

2 comments:

Chris said...

I think their pumpkin caught the herp

Lisa Dovichi said...

Make sure you were the scary belt with the feathered collared shirt! Then they'll really LOVE you at church!

blerse = my new favorite word. Where you ask did I come up with blerse, Blake?

Why it's the word verification word of the day. Hooray for me!