Thursday, August 19, 2010

Potluck party

In a wild fit of randomness we had declared today a finger food potluck day at work. I *heart* potluck days because we have some pretty good cooks in the office and today was no exception.
I gorged myself on zucchini bread, cherry tomatoes and homemade shrimp spring rolls. I brought bacon cheese cups (mini pie shells filled with a bacon cheese mixture) that I woke up at 5:00 am to put together. That's how dedicated I am to the food cause.

You'd think after eating goodies all day I'd be too full for dinner, but I had big plans for a new recipe for fish tacos with a mango salsa. The Canadian was my little sous chef, chopping up mango and jalapeno for the salsa. I baked the cod in the oven wrapped in parchment paper and covered in spices. It was absolutely delicious.
Corn tortillas, cabbage, fish, a little bit of shredded cheese and then mango salsa. Chomp, chomp, chomp! I'm baking off the rest of the cod tomorrow for leftovers.

I know I've been MIA for most of the week, but I've been really busy. Honest. Tuesday night was my first time attending a night Planning Commission meeting. I had a parcel map, rezone and General Plan amendment application I had to present to them for approval. My boss, the Planning Director, always goes so he introduced me to them and helped me with my presentation so I could get the hang of the formalities and procedures. It's not much different than the Planning Director public hearings I have to present at so I feel pretty confident about the next time I have to go. I've also been keeping busy with evil, evil union meetings. I would sell both of my sisters to settle and be done with this. I hate listening to my co-workers bitch and the town constantly guilting us with threats of layoffs. Blah!

We have big plans for this weekend. We're heading up to my friend Kari's house Saturday night for dinner with her and her husband and two other couples from work. Cool couples that will be fun to hang out with. Kari and Steve are bbq-ing and the rest of us are bringing sides. I called dibs on a Mediterranean orzo salad. Then on Sunday we're going back up to p-town for a tamale class with my mom at my co-worker Sherry's house. She usually teaches sourdough bread class (Mum (mother-in-law) and I went last year), but this year she's expanded her classes into cooking classes too. She's one of the best cooks I know, so how could I not sign us up? And the weather's going to be excellent this weekend (low 80s) so what more could I ask?

2 comments:

Lisa Dovichi said...

Those tacos look amazing. I want the recipe! Please?

kath said...

Wish I could go to the class!
Mum