Thursday, August 26, 2010

My new friend, the dentist

As embarrassing as it to type this, I finally went to the dentist today after a 16 year hiatis. Nothing was wrong with my teeth, I just figured it was time to go in. Plus I'd been eyeballing what looked like a crack down one of my front teeth. Chris, who has three dentists (because he's that awesome), sees a family dentist down the street from our old place, Dr. Huseth - or as we refer to him at home, "Gentle Hands", so that's who I went and saw. Long story short, yes he does have gentle hands and I had one cavity. My first cavity ever. To my defense, it was in a spot I couldn't have got to. One of my lower wisdom teeth grew in at an angle right into the side of my last molar and it's at the impact point between the two teeth that the cavity formed. Sooooo, I go back in about two weeks and get a super deep cleaning (2 1/2 hours worth!) and then follow up a month later with a nice polishing. After that I need to go get my wisdom teeth pulled (Face, you need to come fish the noodles out of my soup!), then go back to Gentle Hands to have a filling put in my last molar. Since I don't have any other fillings I'm going with a tooth colored one so that nobody knows my dark, dirty tooth secret. I'm glad it's only one cavity, and short of having my wisdom teeth pulled sooner, I couldn't have prevented it so it's almost like I still have no cavities, right?

Earlier in the week I took my damn dirty wisdom teeth out to dinner with my bible study girls at a new restaurant in town. When it's time to pick a new book we always meet at the Christian book store, pick a new book and then head off for a night on the town. This time we went to Gooney Bird which is in the old Albatross restaurant off of upper Esplanade, past Eaton. I'd checked out their menu ahead of time online and knew exactly what I wanted when we got there; the garden salad with baked salmon on it.
It really should have been called the anti-garden salad though since it was lettuce, candied walnuts, dried cranberries and feta cheese. You know, all things that don't grow in a garden. But it was really, really tasty. I didn't even need to use the raspberry vinaigrette that came with it. For dessert we all shared a piece of their island pie which had a chocolate crust, ice cream filling, a chocolaty, caramel syrup and five pounds of whipped cream.
I would definitely go back again. Maybe even bring the Mr. next time.

Work's been busy this week. My boss, the Planning Director had the week off so I was the only planner on staff and had to cover accordingly. That included doing the landscape inspection for the new Rite Aid in p-town. For you friends and family that have since fled the area, at the corner of Clark and Elliott (across from AM/PM where Barney's was), they bulldozed all the existing crap-o-licious buildings and built a big new fancy Rite Aid for the Rite Aid up at K-Mart to move in to. Anyway, new commercial projects require landscaping so I went out and met with the landscaper and the project manager to assess the finish product.
Because of the economy they were actually able to get much larger plants for the same prices as the smaller seedlings so it already looks really good there even though they're new plantings. Or at least I thought so.

Only one new recipe this week. Chicken breasts cooked in Italian dressing and then simmered with celery, carrots, sun dried tomatoes, and cannellini beans.
We both really like it which is fortunate since we're eating the leftovers tomorrow night. Tonight is steak and potatoes.

You know why I love my co-workers? Because they keep giving me hand-me-downs. Usually it's clothes, but today it was a cute pair of heels.
I traded them for what I was wearing first thing this morning and spent my day feeling super tall, maybe even 5'2"!! Hellooooo down there! Dear free shoes, you're awesome.

1 comment:

Lisa Dovichi said...

Get me a knife so I can cut the noodles into tiny pieces so you can drink them. I hope you get fat face like I did! Is that wrong? :P

The salad looks super good and I want the chicken recipe. Um, now! :D

From now on I decree any delicious recipes you try and like you have to immediately pass on to me. :D