Saturday, January 16, 2010

Mountain o' Meat

The Canadian woke up on the move this morning, so shortly after 9:30 am we were roaring off in Big Hank to run some errands. We stopped at Target so that I could get some compression garments (Spanx-like tank tops) to wear while my incisions are healing and wash cloths for my first week of sponge baths. Afterwards we spent a nice quiet bit of time at Barnes and Noble catching up on my rag mags. On the way home we stopped at Lowe's so that Chris could pick up some lumber to make more beer shelves for the spare bedroom. We bought our original shelves at IKEA, but "somebody" isn't as quick to zip down to Sacramento for more as I am. When we got home I made us some leftovers from dinner last night. It was a recipe from my new Rachael Ray magazine of melty, meaty sandwiches. I topped sliced, buttered sourdough bread with a relish of chopped giardiniera mix (hot pickled veggies), green olives and arugula, a slice of provolone cheese, and two slices each of prosciutto, soppressata (a salami-type meat) and salami, another slice of cheese and more relish, then topped with the other slice of bread. Then you heat it in a pan just like grilled cheese. Sooooo good.
Meaty and tangy and chewy and cheesy. What more could you ask for?

After lunch Chris got his tools together and headed out back to get started on assembling and painting the shelves before this week's monsoon rain and windstorm come sweeping in tonight.
Damn him for being so crafty. Now I'll NEVER get to go to IKEA again!

No comments: