Saturday, January 30, 2010

Patient Update

No photos because I've done absolutely nothing in the last two weeks except sit/recline on the couch and watch TV. I can get up and down off the couch by myself, which is a big accomplishment, and I can sit straight up in a chair and after a few minutes I can stand straight up, too. I was sent home with two incision drains, one of which was removed the Monday after surgery. However, I've continued to drain so much fluid since, the second drain has had to stay in which means that I can't take off my girdle and I can't shower. That's the part I hate the most. I wash my hair in the sink and take sponge baths, but there's a smell to the incisions and all the bandages that I despise and can't wait to wash off.

I was supposed to go back to work next Tuesday, but obviously that's not going to happen. I'll be calling in on Monday to inform them that I'll be out for the entire week. Hopefully I can get my drain out next week, get my smaller girdle, shower and go back to work the following week. I'm still on pain medications, but they don't make me sleep all day anymore so I think I can hack a full day of work. If not, I'll work as long as I can and come home early.

I am definitely postponing my second surgery. I had no idea how incredibly difficult this whole procedure would be on me, and until my abdominal muscles heal, I completely rely on my leg muscles to do all the work. I'm not even naming dates, I'm just taking my time to heal and playing it by ear.

No comments: