Monday, October 25, 2010

New recipes

One of my co-workers (the one I made the cookies for) brought me in some of her cookbooks to peruse over the other day. I made copies of a handful of recipes and have tried two out so far this week. Last night I made the Chinese Rice Casserole;
I browned lean ground beef, onion in celery in a pan while cooking the equivalent of 4 cups of cooked rice. Once done I mixed the two, added in a can of cream of chicken soup and some soy sauce and spread the whole mess in a 9x13. Then I topped it all with crispy chow mein noodles and stuck it in the oven for 30 minutes. It was nothing earth shaking, but tasty enough for us. Unfortunately the leftovers won't be as crunchy since I'm sure I'll just nuke it. Tonight I made 'String Pie' which is a baked spaghetti dish;
A layer of cooked spaghetti mixed with two eggs and some parm cheese, then topped with a layer of cottage cheese followed by a layer of cooked ground beef (with green bell pepper and onion) mixed with a jar of spaghetti sauce and then the whole thing is sprinkled with shredded mozzarella and baked off for 20 minutes. We both REALLY liked this one. It was like a spaghetti lasagna. I'm definitely going to pick up a loaf of sourdough bread to go with the leftovers.

I had to serve the Canadian his meal on the couch since he is currently an invalid.
His left calf is all cramped up and tight from a jog he did the other night at the gym. This was the first attempt to relieve the pain by wrapping a heating pad around his calf before reading online that you're supposed to use cold, not heat, on a pulled muscle. So now he's got a cold pack strapped to his calf. Is this just a taste of what 36 is going to be like for him? Falling apart at every turn? I need to check what kind of warranty he came with!

3 comments:

Lisa Dovichi said...

The string pie spaghetti thing looks really good, you should send a Face the recipe!

Do you think the Canadian came with a money back guarantee?

Susana & Chris said...

Maybe I can trade him in for two, 18 year olds? Wait, then I'd have to train them. Nevermind.

sean said...

Don't let him go anywhere near that skateboard...