Sunday, July 11, 2010

Cake mix cookies

Yes.....we made another recipe out of my Rachael Ray magazine for dinner tonight. There were a lot of pasta and potato based recipes in this month's issue which is great for me because white pastas, potatoes and rice are foods I can easily digest with my gastroparesis. Tonight I made the 'Pasta with Minted Pattypan Squash'. It was literally bow tie pasta with pan seared mini pattypans flavored with lemon juice, chopped mint leaves and some grated parmesan. The Canadian and I both really liked it.
The original recipe was for four, but even cutting it in half still produced four servings. God bless your enormously large servings, Rachael Ray! No one at her table will ever go hungry!

We're once again stuck in the house today because it's 97 degrees outside. Wait, apparently it's dropped to 93.4. Point is, it's too hot to be playing outside or going for a walk. Bah! So instead I cranked on the oven and made some cookies while the Canadian watched our favorite British driving show, Top Gear. A couple years ago my self-made chef sister, Jessica, gave me a Gooseberry Patch booklet full of recipes with cake mixes. Knowing I had a box of chocolate cupcake mix from Harry & David stashed in my pantry I looked up the 'cake mix to cookies' recipe reference in the back of the booklet and found how to turn my boxed mix into chocolate cookies. Taking it a step further I dug out an unopened box of Andes mints from the pantry, chopped a couple (or a lot) of bars up, and added them to the mix. Chocolate mint is the bomb!
While some would consider this shortcut cheating, I guarantee that a chocolate craving belly won't be able to tell the difference!

1 comment:

kath said...

Glad that Harry & David mix finally came in handy! It might be the last of the Mohicans, cake mix wise that I get from old H & D! Look for Harry & David to fold in the coming months...moving to India was only a ruse, as they are going down the tubes fast, losing their good credit rating and extending their loan repayments...bummer