Saturday, July 10, 2010

Tasty treats

I got up early this morning and commanded myself to go to the downtown farmers market. I love the goodies I find there, I just don't like getting up early on my one day a week to sleep in. But I specifically needed mini patty pan squash and cherry tomatoes so I was up and out the door by 8:00 a.m. I found my squash and tomatoes and also picked up some Japanese eggplant, cucumbers, plums, the most delicious olive bread loaf from Tin Roof bakery and a cranberry orange scone, also from Tin Roof.

For lunch Chris bbq'd the farmers market eggplant, some of the patty pans, and one of our own home-grown crooknecks. Then we mixed them with some cooled penne pasta, left-over cubed smoked mozzarella (from the other night), cherry tomatoes from the market, and basil from our garden. Before serving, I poured a homemade olive oil/balsamic dressing over the whole mess.
I was very impressed for a made-up recipe. I called dibs on the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

It was a hot day today so we spent most of our time inside. I did a little housecleaning/chore duty including laundry. While closing the folding doors on the laundry closet I somehow got my forearm caught in the fold of the door, so as it closed and flattened, it pinched the bejesus out of me.
There was tears and bemoaning. I'm lucky I didn't lose an arm. Laundry is dangerous.

Our one trip of the afternoon was to go get Chris' hair cut. Since I was so well behaved while being subjected to the most annoyingly talkative hair stylist ever, I insisted on stopping at Wendy's on the way home and picking up a frosty.
Dear frosty, you are so delicious that you almost make me forget how bad my disfigured arm hurts. Almost.

For dinner I made another recipe out of my new Rachael Ray mag, the 'white bean, tuna and potato salad'. I had to make the dressing twice because the first version tasted like poison. On the second go around I left some of the ingredients out and toned back some of the others. The end product worked out nicely.
Halfway through it, Chris declared it too dry for him and added some greek salad dressing to his, but I thought it was perfect. Especially with a slice of our new salty, briny olive bread.

Even with all the cooking and self-mutilation, I still found time to crank out a scrapbook page today.
A page commemorating my friend's 50th birthday. I scraplifted this layout from another site online and that's why it was so quick to put the page together. I just had to pick out the papers.

I'm now realizing the flaw in my early morning farmers market run - it's only 7:00 pm and I'm ready to fall asleep...zzzzzz

No comments: